Back to Dave's Planet
I believe most random traffic checkpoints (drunk driving, state boarder inspection, random immigration checkpoints, etc) are a blatent violation of my rights. I appreciate the work the police do, but in these cases they are misguided and I will not cooperate with them. I keep the following printed on half sheets of card stock in my glove box. I roll the window down just far enough to let the officer take a copy and then roll the window back up.
Officer please understand I have a strong moral objection to the legality of random traffic stops, to which:
Thank you for your cooperation
Back to Dave's Planet
- All interactions with me may be video and/or audio recorded at my discretion.
- I refuse to talk to you until I consult with my attorney Matthew J. Coleman (515) 733-4372
- I refuse to consent to any search of my car, my body, or effects.
- I am not required to present license or registration unless a traffic stop is initiated by a violation.
- I refuse to participate in any physical acts, including exiting my vehicle or speaking or displaying my person or property at your direction without first conferring with my lawyer.
- Under no circumstances will I exit my vehicle unless lawfully detained for criminal reasons
- Under no circumstances will I exit the road to any side area unless lawfully detained.
- If I am under arrest, I wish to invoke and exercise my Miranda rights
- If I am to be taken into custody, removed from my present location, or separated from my property, I request a reasonable opportunity to make arrangements to secure my own property. I do not consent to any impoundment or inventory of my property. I do, hereby, waive any claim of liability for loss, theft, or damage against you, your superiors or any other authority, and agree to hold all harmless therefrom, if I am afforded the reasonable opportunity to arrange for the safekeeping of my own property. If this reasonable opportunity is unavailable, I demand that only such intrusion occur as is minimally necessary to secure such property, hereby waiving any claim of liability for your failure to scrutinize the property or its contents prior to it being secured.
- The courts have ruled that 4th amendment protection against “unreasonable seizure” prohibit any unnecessary delay in releasing me from proceeding on my way unless lawfully detained for criminal reasons. If I am not being charged with a crime, I must not be detained. If I am not under arrest, I want to leave. If I am free to leave, please tell me immediately so that I may go about my business.